We made this for dinner last night, and it was incredibly good. And, with the exception of green peppers, all the ingredients were things most of us have lying around the house!
I got this recipe from TasteOfHome.com, but have printed it out below.
*Note: We used chicken sausage links instead of crumbled sausage.
– 8 oz lean sausage
– 1 medium onion, chopped
– 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
– 2 cans (16 oz. each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
– 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
– 4 cups water
– 1 bay leaf
– 1/2 teaspoon EACH garlic salt, seasoned salt, and pepper
– 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
– 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are tender and sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in beans, potato, water and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until potato is tender. Stir in tomatoes and heat through. Remove bay leaf. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
(Each 3-cup bowl is roughly 10PP)